Chamber of Commerce - Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Chamber of Commerce do?
The Chamber of Commerce represents and promotes members of the organization. It identifies community problems and issues affecting businesses and provides leadership to solve these problems. In this way, the Chamber accomplishes collectively what no business can do alone.
Why should I join the Chamber of Commerce?
Chambers of commerce play a key role in the development of local businesses. Through the benefit programs, networking opportunities, professional development and business resources offered such as the Chamber Group Insurance and discounts, Chambers of Commerce are important vehicles to grow and promote your business.
Membership allows you to grow your business by opening doors to new opportunities by building connections with other business owners to grow your outreach and increase revenue through referrals.
Membership in your local Chamber of Commerce also gives your business credibility. Research has also shown that being active in your local chamber of commerce is an effective strategy for businesses to use in communicating that they use good business practices, are active in the community, care about customers and are reputable.
Now, more than ever, building substantive relationships is crucial to sustaining and growing your business. The Chamber provides opportunities on a daily basis for you to meet new contacts. There are plenty of opportunities that will fit your schedule.
Contact Katherine Archibald, Business Development Manager to learn the best ways to utilize a membership for your business. 403-327-1593 | katherine@lethbridgeChamber.com
What are the overall benefits of joining the Chamber?
Membership gives you an opportunity to:
- Build contacts
- Affect government policy
- Share public opinion
- Monitor trends and new ideas
- Promote business development
- Represent your interests
- Secure the future
You also have access to:
- Group Insurance Plans
- Free networking events
- Education seminars
- Discounted prices on ticketed events
- Sponsorship & advertising opportunities to promote your business
- Several discounts and offerings, such as Employee Gas Card Savings & Member 2 Member Deals
Is there a fee for Chamber Membership, and is it classified as a business expense?
Membership dues correlate with the size of your company, based on full-time employees. Click here to view our membership rates. Chamber dues are deductible for federal income tax purposes as a business expense. The Chamber must collect and remit GST on sales. You may be eligible for business expense deductions.
Why should I join the Chamber if I'm unable to attend events?
Our events are only a small part of what we do. Even if you cannot attend our events, there are still plenty of programs and benefits, of which you can take advantage. Just by being a member, you are supporting an organization that represents your interests in the community. Your most important participation is simply signing on as a member. Remember, The Chamber of Commerce is YOUR advocate at all levels of government — we help change legislation to shape the business community you are doing business in.
Taking advantage of our marketing channels and tools alone are worth the investment of your membership fees. On top of that we provide access to member benefits that you may not be able to negotiate on your own such as Group Health benefits, and discounts, including member2member offering. We also are your eyes and ears in the community – keeping you abreast of current issues and advocating on behalf of the membership. We also offer educational events for you and your staff – keeping you updated on current trends and best practices.
How can I get more involved in Chamber activities, and gain exposure through the Chamber?
There are many great ways to gain business exposure through the Chamber of Commerce.
Get active! The Chamber is about meeting new people and building relationships for you and your business. Make a goal to attend one event a month.
- Sponsor an event or a member program to expose your brand to hundreds of new eyes.
- Promote your brand through our online member directory and offer a special discount to our members community.
- Join a committee. Write policy. Help create a seminar or networking event.
- Volunteer as an Ambassador.
- Participate on the Board of Directors.
Please inquire for more information firstname.lastname@example.org
Members - Frequently Asked Questions
How do I log into the Member Centre?
Two easy steps
- Visit the login web page lethbridgechamber.com/login/
- Enter the username and password you initially set up for your account.
Forgot your Password?
Not a problem! Click the Forgot your Username/Password? located below the Login button and follow the prompts. This will generate an email to reset your password.
Haven't set up a login account?
Click No login created? Sign up Now and follow the prompts. You may be asked for an invoice number to confirm your organization is a member.
How do I update my directory listing?
There are 5 simple steps.
- Select Member Centre at lethbridgechamber.com
- Update your Profile under the Your Account tab
- To update your information and Directory listing choose Member Profile and Update.
- Make sure your contact information and physical address is up-to-date
- Select View/Edit Profile to see your company directory listing
In addition to the standard contact information, you will also have the option to upload a logo or photos.
The online directory allows searches by company name or industry sectors.
What marketing tools will I have access to as a member?
We offer several marketing packages which can be purchased separate or part of a membership package.
Individual A La Cart marketing options and prices:
- Social Media Blast - $75
3 Posts: on our Social Media Platforms of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Instagram
- Advertisement in Voice of Business Newsletter - $50
- Stand Alone Emails to our Chamber Mailing List - $100
- Facebook Banner - $50
- Twitter Banner - $50
- Website Banner - Week: $50
- Facebook Live Interview - $500
- Social Media Blast - $75
Can I add/delete representatives for my organization?
Absolutely! Login to the Member Centre under the heading Company select Employees. This is where you can add/delete representatives for your organization.
Membership Discounts - how do I access and offer them?
Value Added Discounts - Alberta Chamber of Commerce
The Alberta Chamber of Commerce has partnered with several organizations creating discount offerings for all Chamber members Alberta wide. Information for each benefit, the contact person, and activation instructions are listed on the Value Added Discounts webpage.
Member 2 Member discounts
Save Money and Support Your Fellow Chamber Members. This unique program offers promoting member 2 member buying, boosting sales for our members, and increasing member visibility. Chamber member businesses and their employees are encouraged to patronize fellow members. Offer your member discount by logging into the Member Centre.
- Available to all member companies and their employees
- Designed to promote business relationships locally with other Chamber Members
- Opportunity to market your products and services
- Participation is voluntary
- You do not have to offer savings to take advantage of other members’ discounts/special offers
- Helps you save money to your bottom line
- Stimulates new business through increased exposure and word-of-mouth referrals
Are my employees able to access Member Discounts?
Yes, as a member, your employees are eligible to take advantage of all benefits, including supplier discounts. Member benefits are a great perk to share with your employees for retention, and also, for attracting new employees.
How do I post a job opportunity for my organization?
There are 6 simple steps.
- Select Member Centre at lethbridgechamber.com
- Login with the username and password you previously set up. (How to create a login? See "How do I log into the Member Centre?" in the FAQs)
- Select Job Postings from the menu on the Home screen
- Select Add Job Posting
- Complete all the fields
- Select Submit for Approval
Once your job listing has been submitted for approval it will appear on the:
How can I be a presenter for a Chamber event?
The Lethbridge Chamber of Commerce offers many events throughout the year which aim to benefit our members. One of our goals is to educate our members and the business community with information and resources pertinent to your needs. If your specialty is something that could benefit our members we would love to discuss event options with you. This is also a great way to gain exposure for your business.
Please fill out our speaker form and our Partnerships Manager will reach out to you.
Dominka Wojcik, Partnerships Manager
What is the Request for Proposal option in the Member Centre?
Chamber members, community members or visitors to the community may submit a request for a proposal to receive quotes on services and items they may need; such as a venue for a conference, copy machine, printing options, landscaping needs, contractors etc.
To submit an RFP for Tender:
- Complete all the fields at lethbridgechamber.com/RFP
- Select “Submit for Approval”
- ONLY Chamber members can view RFPs and submit proposals for consideration within the MemberCentre under the Request for Proposals link on the left.
After an RFP submission:
- An email will be sent to the person submitting the form which includes allowing edits until the submission is approved by a Chamber staff.
- Once a Chamber staff has approved the RFP, an email will immediately be sent to all members within the industry categories you selected in the RFP submission form. This email is a courtesy to members within relevant industries notifying them that an RFP that may apply to them has been submitted.
- Members must log into the Member Center to view RFPs.
- The Chamber does not receive a copy of the proposal.
- RFPs remain posted in the Member Center for the days selected by the submitter and will be automatically removed on the Listing End Date.
Can I have/buy the Chamber’s mailing list database to send my own emails to the Chamber’s membership list?
The Chamber does not sell or give out its membership database.
Our Member Director, is public and lists the contact information of all our members businesses who specified they would like to be listed.
Do the Chamber's board members have offices at the Chamber?
Our Board of Directors is comprised of volunteers who hold full-time positions with local businesses. They do not have offices at the Chamber.