“Please Take Our Money”: Southern Alberta in the Global Economic Limelight: Peter Casurella, Executive Director – SouthGrow Regional Initiative
There has been no other time in the history of Southern Alberta that we have been presented with such incredible opportunities for economic growth. Macro-economic trends, global developments, and environmental changes have shifted the economic landscape, and our region suddenly finds itself in the crosshairs of growth. In this session, Peter Casurella of the SouthGrow Regional Initiative will talk about global trends that are creating opportunities and will identify specific business growth opportunities that are worthy of pursuit. He will also identify threats to these opportunities and suggest how they might be overcome through regional collaboration.
DISRUPTING – How Your Business Can Leverage Rapid Change and Technology: George Virtue and Jeff Clarke, Avail CPA
George Virtue & Jeff Clarke
Do you think that avoiding change and remaining unaltered will prepare your business for the future? Think again. Technology, and a rapidly changing global market mean that disruptive innovation is the name of the game for businesses who want to not just survive but thrive. Avail CPA Partners and Business Consultants George Virtue, CPA, CA and Jeff Clarke, CPA, CA will discuss examples of marketplace disruption like Uber, Netflix, and Amazon, and then share 10 ways you can disrupt your own business by embracing technology and having an innovation mindset.
Emotional Intelligence: The secret to navigating communication challenges: Simone Brown, business coach - ATB Entrepren-HOUR presentation
People Impact Performance. Emotions Impact People.
The number one issue most business leaders face is a people issue, not a system or operational one; yet most individuals haven't mastered the art of communicating with customers, teams and stakeholders who are responsible for their success.
Research tells us that emotional intelligence is responsible for up to 80% of the factors that determine how successful you are in business and life. It's not your IQ, education, or experience that are most important, but your ability to recognize, interpret, communicate and manage the emotions of yourself and others.
This interactive workshop is designed to help you:
• Recognize your emotional triggers and identify how to overpower them.
• Understand effective strategies to improve the way you communicate, interact and perform in your role.
• Learn a simple technique to help you take back control when you’re under stress or experiencing conflict.
• Discover how Emotional Intelligence can be your single biggest ally during negotiations.
Alberta Economic Development and Trade Programs: Nik Nystrom & Disa Brownfield, AB Economic Development & Trade
Nik Nystrom & Disa Brownfield
Learn more about:
- The Alberta Investor Tax Credit Program, which provides a 30% tax credit to corporations or individuals who invest in eligible businesses registered with the Program.
- The Alberta Export Expansion Program, which is a group of programs that provide funding to help export-ready Alberta companies access new international markets.
- The Community Economic Development Tax Credit.
- The Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit (currently being developed), to encourage growth in the IDM industry, encourage companies to stay in Alberta and attract talented tech entrepreneurs to move here.
Going from Hype to Happening - A brief history and opportunities for Blockchain: Dan Giurescu, CEO of Terra Hub
Visionary. Strategizer. Idea Accelerator. Serial Entrepreneur.Dan is the Founder of TerraHub. Dan created TerraHub after his own attempt to build a blockchain product and struggling to find realistic, knowledgeable sources. Dan saw the need for a company to help cut through the myths and provide real world advice and guidance. Dan thrives on the challenge of commercializing new concepts, guiding teams and inspiring action by creating an environment where taking risks in pursuit of success is encouraged. Community focused - Dan supports numerous local charities and is a Member of The A100 and Mentor with IBM District Ventures.